I recently rebuilt this website with Jekyll so the technology stack described in this post no longer applies to the current version of the site (as of October 2015). The reason why I switched to Jekyll is that I didn’t really need all the back-end services I had originally set up since I could simply serve the content as static files on GitHub. The website itself is very minimal so I decided to take an equally minimal approach and use Jekyll and GitHub Pages.
Key technologies used
- MongoDB with Mongoose
This website originally started off as an experiment—a simple prototype I was writing with AngularJS because I wanted to get better acquainted with the framework. But as I kept on adding more parts to it, it eventually evolved into ericnishio.com v2.0, with a fitting .io suffix.
I had originally built the website with Drupal, but since Drupal sites tend to be slow unless you have effective caching mechanisms in place, I thought switching platforms would be a nice change, and I’d get to learn something new.
So I stuck with the Angular prototype I had written, and took Express to construct a RESTful API for communicating with the client-side app.
It took me a bit over a month (part-time) to complete the application base. So in mid-May, 2014, I decided to set up a fresh droplet (VPS) on DigitalOcean and deploy the site. I wasn’t expecting such a smooth first-time deployment experience, but things turned out surprisingly well. Running the API server on top of a minimal nginx configuration worked like a charm.
I didn’t have an admin account for writing content with so I also wrote a Node command-line tool for creating, listing, and deleting user accounts. For token-based authentication I decided to use JSON Web Token. To expose the asynchronously loaded content to search engine crawlers, I deployed a Node-powered Prerender server for rendering static web pages in the background.
I carved out the cosmetic appearance of the website with Twitter Bootstrap. I wanted to create a minimal look so my design work chiefly consisted of choosing a clean font and giving the elements ample whitespace around them. I also decided not to support image attachments so the syntax-highlighted code blocks are the only visual sugar added to the otherwise plain text blog posts.
Now, if I were to do the same project over again, I would do some things differently. Although I’m overall very satisfied with what I was able to accomplish, the one thing I would do differently is use Sails for building the API. By utilizing the solid foundation that Sails provides, I would have written less code and focused on building functionality and spent less time on scaffolding the project. But using Express instead of Sails (which is built on top of Express) gave me a broader understanding of the underlying nuts and bolts that have been abstracted away in Sails. So ultimately from a learner’s point of view the outcome was pure victory.